EBD  Electronic Brake Force Distribution
    ESC  Electronic stability control
    GVG  Green Vehicle Guide
    HAB  Head Airbags
    KA  Knee airbag/s
    MLP  Manufacturers?List Price
    SRAB  Side Rear Airbags
    TCS  Traction control system

Disclaimer: All information was collected in October 2010. Whilst every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided, no responsibility or liability whatsoever is accepted for any incorrect or misleading information. Individuals should rely on their own enquiries in making any decisions affecting their interests.  

Scores for all Light Cars Under $20,000
    Score tables can be opened using Adobe Acrobat available at www.adobe.com

For full details and Judges' reviews for all Light Cars, pick up a copy of the 2011 edition of Australia's Best Cars Magazine.

The phrase 揼ood things come in small packages拻 is often overused yet is so apt for this class of car.

Light cars, as they are known in the industry, are enjoying a new popularity and now account for 13% of all new car sales.

Pint-sized proportions for city parking, miserly fuel consumption and massive improvements in safety and build and finish quality make these tiny tots even better value for money than ever. They come packed with equipment you抎 expect from a large car yet still retain their tiny price tags.

The latest addition to this class is Hyundai抯 all-new i20, which effectively replaces the popular Getz.

A winner in 2003 and 2005, the Getz underpinned Hyundai抯 commitment to producing value-for-money cars with cheap price tags and loads of features. It was discontinued last month so sales will eventually fade out as the i20 steps in to fill the gap.

The i20 continues the Korean maker抯 value-for-money philosophy but also offers a new level of refinement, quality and dynamic capability.

The i20 Active is the entry-level model. It comes in three- and five-door bodystyles. The three-door is priced from $15,490; the five-door we tested is $16,490.

Don抰 be fooled into thinking it抯 a bare-bones package though. The i20抯 equipment list reads like one from a much higher-priced offering.

Standard equipment includes a CD player with auxiliary audio input jack, USB audio input with iPod connectivity, Bluetooth phone connectivity and audio streaming, air-conditioning, multi-information centre (displays distance to empty, instant and average L/100km, elapsed time and trip odometer information), height and reach-adjustable steering, chilled glove box, power windows, steering and mirrors and 60/40 split-folding rear seats.

Hyundai recently upgraded the i20 as part of refresh across the i20, i30, ix35 and i45 model line-ups. The newest model in the Hyundai range received a new hue in the interior with the application of the signature Hyundai blue illumination (replacing orange) in the instrument cluster. Active model s gained six airbags as standard. All i20s now come with a five-star ANCAP safety rating.

For our market, the i20 is built in India, and while there have been question marks raised over how that will affect quality, there were no foibles to speak of in our ABC test car.

Space is not considered critical in this class but the i20 is not short on it. Rear seat passengers won抰 be complaining with good space for all limbs and relatively supportive seats.

The i20抯 on-road performance was rated above average, scoring 7s in every category but it was outclassed by both the Polo and the Fiesta, both of which scored 8s and 9s. While considered a solid all-round performer, the i20憇 driving dynamics are not class-leading.

If you抮e looking for a car that offers excellent value for money, good safety credentials and solid on-road performance, then the i20 ticks all the boxes.

Finalists
    Ford Fiesta CL
    Hyundai i20 Active
    Volkswagen Polo 77 Tsi Comfortline
    回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 采蘑菇 发表于 14-1-2011 20:03:40
    好房顶。。。
    回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则